New data shows our Be the Influence - Tackling Binge Drinking initiative's Facebook page is one of the most popular Australian Government social media pages with over 189,000 likes to date.
Expert Committee on Research
Latest update: 21 December 2011
The Expert Committee on Research is established to provide advice to the Agency's Chief Executive Officer (CEO) on issues relating to preventive health research, including the development of a National Preventive Health Research Strategy, expenditure of the National Preventive Health Research Fund and promotion of the development of preventive health research infrastructure in Australia. The Committee will also assist the Agency in its leadership role in knowledge sharing and research collaboration development.
Committee Terms of ReferenceThe Preventive Health Research Committee will provide advice to the Agency on:
- the development and strategic oversight of the National Preventive Health Research Strategy;
- the development and implementation of the preventive health research fund expenditure programs including guiding work on translation of research outcomes into policy;
- the prioritisation of policy questions upon which research and evaluations could be targeted;
- monitoring and surveillance relevant to preventive health research;
- identifying funding priorities and mechanisms;
- avenues for facilitating knowledge sharing and collaborations and partnerships that would strengthen research on prioritised policy questions; and
- any other advice on preventive health research and evaluation requested by the CEO.
Composition of the CommitteeThe Committee has nine members comprising a Chair, and eight other members, including the Agency's CEO.
The members bring with them a wide range of research experience in preventive health and health promotion, particularly with respect to alcohol and tobacco abuse and obesity, and including in indigenous issues. The members appointed to the committee are listed in the table below.
|Professor John McCallum - Chair|
National Health and Medical Research Council
|Preventive health research|
|Professor Helen Berry|
Centre for Research and Action in Public Health
|Social determinants of health and translation of research findings into public health policy and programs|
|Dr Shelley Brown|
Department of Health Victoria
|Prevention and population health|
|Professor Peter D'Abbs|
Menzies School of Health Research
|Harmful consumption of alcohol and Indigenous health|
|Professor Penny Hawe|
University of Calgary
|Population health interventions|
|Professor Kerin O’Dea|
University of South Australia
|Obesity, nutrition and Indigenous health|
|Professor Melanie Wakefield|
Cancer Council Victoria
|Tobacco control and cross-reference with NHMRC Prevention and Community Health Committee|
|Ms Louise Sylvan|