The Australian National Preventive Health Agency is proud to announce the winners of the inaugural National Preventive Health Awards.
Prevention in Medicare Locals
Latest update: 08 November 2012
The Agency is committed to supporting Medicare Locals in their preventive health activities, and recognises the importance of embedding an evidence-based focus on prevention early in the development of Medicare Locals.
- What are Medicare Locals?
- Joint Statement on Disease Prevention and Health Promotion in Medicare Locals Program
- Disease Prevention and Health Promotion in Medicare Locals
What are Medicare Locals?Medicare Locals have been established to drive improvements in primary health care and ensure that primary health care services are better tailored to meet the needs of local communities. One of the critical roles expected of Medicare Locals is to improve health outcomes and address the health needs of their populations, including a greater focus on prevention and health promotion to address health inequities and improve health outcomes.
For more information on Medicare Locals and national health reform please visit the Medicare Locals information page.
Joint Statement on Disease Prevention and Health Promotion in Medicare LocalsIn June 2012 the Agency and AML Alliance released a joint statement on disease prevention and health promotion in Medicare Locals, supported by an evidence review monograph. These documents outline the vision and lay the foundation for the Agency to provide support to Medicare Locals in their prevention activities.
Disease Prevention and Health Promotion in Medicare Locals ProgramThe Agency has established the Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Program which will help develop and implement innovative health partnerships with Medicare Locals to improve health outcomes and reverse the impact of preventable chronic disease in their communities.
The funding sponsors Medicare Locals to partner with health services, local councils, researchers and other organisations to deliver preventive health initiatives
The successful Medicare Locals have now been announced.
- The role of Australian primary health care in prevention of chronic disease (Harris M and Lloyd, 2012) (PDF 1377 KB)
- Joint Statement on Disease Prevention and Health Promotion in Medicare Locals
- Evidence Review Monograph
- Prevention and Health Promotion Framework
- Prevention and Health Promotion Environmental Scan
- Prevention and Health Promotion Toolkit
Phone: (02) 6289 2879
Top of page