New data shows our Be the Influence - Tackling Binge Drinking initiative's Facebook page is one of the most popular Australian Government social media pages with over 189,000 likes to date.
Finalists Announced in the inaugural National Preventive Health Awards
Latest update: 31 May 2013
Louise Sylvan, Chief Executive Officer of the Australian National Preventive Health Agency has today officially announced the twenty two outstanding individuals and organisations that have been selected as finalists for the inaugural National Preventive Health Awards.
“The Agency received a significant number of high quality entries, and from many different sectors, and in most cases our judges had a difficult time in determining the finalists.”
I would like to congratulate all of the organisations and individuals who entered the Awards and thank them for the valuable effort and contribution they are all making in preventive health”, Ms Sylvan said.
The Awards promote leadership in the area of preventive health to celebrate and award excellence in prevention and health promotion practice.
Finalists were chosen from more than 80 nominations from around the country and are made up of researchers, journalists, Medicare Locals, small, medium and large workplaces supporting prevention and better health across Australia.
The Awards will be presented at the National Preventive Health Symposium at Parliament House in Canberra on Friday 26 July 2013. The Awards are administered by the Australian National Preventive Health Agency.
Award Category: Healthy Workplace Awards for Team Excellence in Workplace Health and Well-being – Small Workplace (1-19 workers)
- Absolute Beauty - Tasmania
- Fitness Australia - New South Wales
- Kazar Slaven - ACT
- Ronald Young & Co. Builders - Tasmania
- Department of Sport and Recreation WA - Western Australia
- Lavan Legal - Western Australia
- Local Government Association Qld - Queensland
Award Category: Healthy Workplace Awards for Team Excellence in Workplace Health and Well-being – Large Workplace (200+ workers)
- Cancer Council Queensland - Queensland
- The Friends’ School - Tasmania
- Ipswich City Council - Queensland
- Tomago Aluminium - New South Wales
Award Category: Prevention in Medicare Locals Awards - Team Excellence and Achievement in Prevention
- Illawarra Shoalhaven Medicare Local - New South Wales
- South Western Sydney Medicare Local - New South Wales
Award Category: Prevention in Medicare Locals Awards - Excellence and Achievement in addressing Disadvantage
- Barwon Medicare Local - Victoria
- Perth Central and East Metro Medicare Local - Western Australia
- Southern NSW Medicare Local - New South Wales
Award Category: Preventive Health Translational Research Award
- Hunter Medical Research Institute - Alcohol Action in Rural Communities
- Hunter New England Population Health The University of Newcastle, New South Wales Ministry of Health (Centre for Population Health), Physical Activity Nutrition and Obesity Research Group - Child Obesity Prevention Program
- Groote Eylandt Health Clinics, The Perfect World, University of Sydney, Anindilyakwa Land Council. - Community-led substance use research in remote Arnhem Land NT
Award Category: Excellence in Preventive Health Journalism
- Cathy O’Leary - The West Australian - For a body of work related to alcohol
- Peter Waterman - The Australian Pharmacist - Fighting prescription addiction
- Daniel Williams - Mens Health Magazine - One pill to rule them all