Expert Committee on Alcohol (ECA)
The role of the ECA is to assist and advise on the Agency’s policy and program directions where requested, to support the Agency’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in providing advice to health ministers where necessary, and any other advice requested by the CEO on healthy lifestyle-related issues. The Committee’s advice and recommendations may include more than one option for consideration where the ECO is unable to agree on a single outcome or model for best practice.
Committee Terms of Reference
Specifically the Expert Committee on Alcohol will:
- Provide advice to the CEO on the development of robust, evidence-based, defensible public policy on alcohol misuse and associated harms;
- Provide advice on the development, implementation and evaluation of broad social marketing, education and community awareness programs relating to alcohol misuse and associated harms; and
- Any other function relating to preventive health that the CEO may request advice on relating to alcohol misuse and associated harms
The ECA may also at its discretion, bring to the Agency’s attention any matters which it deems to be necessary, relevant or current.
Composition of the CommitteeThe committee will comprise 8-9 members, appointed by the CEO.
- An understanding of broader community level issues arising from alcohol related harms, possibly represented through an alcohol advocacy group;
- Technical experts, researchers and/or academics in the area of alcohol harms;
- An understanding of issues relating to harms caused by alcohol misuse in specific population groups including particular attention to the issues for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities; and
- The alcohol industry, to ensure a collaborative and inclusive approach is taken to alcohol policy reform.
The members bring with them a wide range of knowledge and expertise in relation to alcohol.
The members appointed to the committee are listed in the table below.
|Ms Margaret Hamilton - Chair||Alcohol research, education and clinical work|
|Ms Donna Ah Chee||Indigenous health|
|Dr Tanya Chikritzhs||Alcohol research|
|Ms Sondra Davoren||Legal policy|
|Dr Steve Hambleton||Primary Care|
|Mr Jim Migro||Law enforcement and alcohol research and education|
|Professor Rob Moodie||Public health promotion|
|Mr John Pollaers||Industry expertise|
|Ms Louise Sylvan|
ContactFor enquiries relating to the Expert Committee on Alcohol, please contact the Committee Secretariat by emailing email@example.com
Page currency, Latest update: 18 October, 2011